de Ávila is located in a plain of approximately 6900 sq km
(2664 sq mi) of extension. Cattle, sugar cane, and vegetable products
are its main natural resources. Linked to the rest of the nation
through the Carretera Central, Ciego de Ávila is 442 km (276
mi) away from Havana and possesses modern buildings,
hotels, and local industries.
The town was founded in 1840 having at the time 263 inhabitants.
In 1877, was created the municipal government and the city became
independent from the city of Morón.
Ciego de Ávila gains importance when the Spanish army built
a fortified military line, known as Trocha de Jucaro a Morón,
to impede the pass of insurrectionist forces to the western part
of the island during the War of Independence (1895-1898). Nevertheless,
this "trocha", which made this region famous and was thought
to be strong enough to stop the Cuban forces, was not able to stop
the pass of General Máximo Gómez and several hundreds